It's Sunday!! Which most likely means it's meal prep day and boy, oh boy, do I have a special salad recipe to share with you!! The best part is that you can prepare the majority of this salad ahead of time during your weekly meal prep and make your lunch or dinner for tomorrow in under 5 minutes! And to top it off, this Roasted Golden Beet and Fig Salad may just be the most beautiful (and delicious) salad you will ever eat!
This week's Recipe Feature: Roasted Golden Beet and Fig Salad
Ok, so there is a short story behind this magnificent salad. I was talking with my sweet neighbor about how much I love Beets and Figs lately and she had this great idea to combine both of these amazing foods into one meal... then I thought about the incredible Beet Salads that I had in California during our last trip out west and decided we had to recreate one of those Beet Salads and add some FIGS!! My neighbor mentioned that she had some leftover roasted beets from when she made my Roasted Beet Hummus the other day and some leftover rotisserie chicken and fresh figs... which then led to us building this incredible salad from a bunch of leftovers!
Ingredients: (makes 2 servings)
- 4 C arugula (or baby spinach / mixed greens of choice)
- 1.5 - 2 C chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4th C chopped walnuts
- 2 Roasted Golden Beets (roasted at 375F for 1-1.5 hours) sliced in 1/4th in thick slices
- 3 fresh Figs (sliced in quarters)
- Lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar (to taste) to top the salad as the dressing
- Divide the arugula evenly on two plates, then divide the chicken (about 3/4th cups each) on each plate and top with 1/2 of the goat cheese and walnuts on each plate.
- Place the beet slices evenly in a circle surrounding the chicken, goat cheese, and walnut "tower" and then top with 1.5 figs on each plate.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice from 1/4th lemon over the salad and drizzle the olive oil and balsamic to taste.
- Sit down and enjoy this gorgeous salad with a loved one :-)
There you have it - an incredibly delicious salad that is loaded with lean protein, healthy fats, and tons of antioxidants and can be made in no time at all with a little bit of meal prep the night before.
The best part about this salad was making it with my neighbor and actually sitting down to enjoy a nice quiet lunch with a dear friend (instead of scarfing it down while multitasking on the computer like I usually do during lunch)!
So go ahead, get to roasting today so you can enjoy this salad and some quality time with loved ones tomorrow :-)