Eggs are a very versatile lean protein and can really be eaten anytime of the day - breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This power-house of a super-food is nutrient dense, yet low in calories and contains several essential vitamins (B vitamins and vitamin A and vitamin D) and minerals (choline, selenium, and phosphorus) as well as the highest quality protein and amino acid profile that meets the needs of the human body. The whites alone contain only 16 calories (per large egg) and 4g of protein, without the saturated fat or cholesterol that is found in the yellow yolk. The best part is that egg whites can be prepared in minutes and easily incorporated into a perfect sandwich for a quick breakfast before work. Heck, you can even make this meal portable and eat it on your way into work (while driving as safely as possible, of course!)...
This week's Meal Made in Minutes: Easy Egg White Sandwich
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (I used All Whites) or the egg whites of 3 large eggs
- 2 slices whole grain bread (I used Canyon Ranch 7-Grain gluten-free bread)
- 1 slice reduced-fat provolone cheese (I used Sargento)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp hummus (any flavor) (I used Tribe Sun-dried Tomato)
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Black pepper or red chili flakes (to taste)
- Toaster oven
- Microwaveable omelet maker (I bought mine at Amazon.com)
(All Whites egg whites with red chili flakes)
- Toast bread in toaster oven
- While bread is toasting, prepare omelet - pour egg whites into omelet maker and season with black pepper or red chili flakes (to taste).
- Cook eggs in the microwave on high heat for 1 minute. Make sure whites are complete set and cooked through - if whites are still runny, place omelet maker back in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Assemble egg white sandwich - spread 1 tbsp hummus on one slice of bread, then lay 1/2 cup spinach on top, then the egg whites, provolone cheese, remaining 1/2 cup spinach and the second slice of bread with remaining 1 tbsp hummus spread on top.
Viola! That's it, within 6-8 minutes you will have the perfect egg white breakfast sandwich! To take your breakfast to-go, wrap the sandwich in aluminum foil and hit the road!
This breakfast sandwich will beat any fast-food option and will fill you up with complex carbs, healthy fats, and lean protein to get you through the busy morning :-)
Feel free to play around with the ingredients. Some substitutions you can try:
- 1 egg + 2 whites instead of all whites
- 1/4th avocado (mashed or sliced) instead of hummus
- kale instead of spinach
- a whole-grain tortilla wrap instead of bread