Another weekend has come and gone and this weekend was especially busy! Luckily, I thoroughly enjoy having a busy schedule and I spent my time volunteering at the Children's Cancer Center and celebrated a friend's birthday with a group of close friends! Let's not forget about the time dedicated to College Football on Saturday night and watching the New England Patriots on Sunday afternoon, along with my weekly household chores and meal prepping!
Since I had a lot on my plate this weekend, I did not have a lot of time in the kitchen so whipping up this SUPER EASY recipe for this week's meal made in minutes was just perfect! Let me introduce to you my version of homemade chicken salad that has some extra ingredients for longer-lasting energy and is the perfect combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fasts.
This week's Meal Made in Minutes: Chicken and Brown Rice Salad
Ingredients: (Serves 1)
- 4-5oz cooked chicken breast (or Organic canned chicken breast, white meat only)
- 1/3 c cooked brown rice (I used Minute Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- 2 Tbsp crumbled Goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp Pesto sauce (or 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt mixed with lemon juice and Dill, to taste)
- Red Chili flakes (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Shred the cooked chicken breast (or drain the canned chicken and run under cool water in a strainer).
- In a medium mixing bowl, add cooked brown rice and shredded chicken breast and mix together. Then add the Pesto sauce or plain Greek yogurt (mixed with lemon juice and Dill seasoning) and Goat cheese, mix well.
- Season the chicken salad with Red Chili flakes and ground pepper, to taste, and mix well to combine all ingredients!
- BOOM, you're done in 3 steps!
This hearty chicken salad can be eaten alone with a handful of whole-grain crackers for some added crunch; placed on top of a large salad or a plate of Zoodles for extra antioxidants; or eaten as a sandwich when placed between two slices of whole-grain (or gluten-free) bread and paired with some raw veggies on the side for a complete and satisfying lunch to power you through a hectic weekday at work! I personally love this chicken salad with a bed of Zoodles and Pesto sauce (see picture above), but it honestly goes with any combination of vegetables and tastes great with the Greek yogurt mixture!
Hope you enjoy your hearty chicken salad this week and have a great week ahead!!