Craving a hearty lasagna without the high carbohydrate load and excess saturated fat of most traditional recipes? Stop looking! I have the perfect hearty and delicious grain-free and dairy-free recipe that will satisfy your craving and quickly become a family favorite! Check out this simple and delicious recipe for Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna!
This week's Recipe Feature: Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna
Now doesn't that lasagna look delicious!? And trust me, you won't even miss the grains or cheese! I can say that because I had the pleasure of tasting this delicious recipe this past week when a good friend of mine had me over for dinner! We had the best time chatting while she made dinner and we had an ever better time devouring the lasagna!
Ok, enough small talk! Let's get to the recipe!!
Ingredients: Serves 6 (recipe adapted from Paleo Hacks )
- 1 lb ground grass-fed beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey (aim for 94-99% lean)
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 28 oz jar tomato sauce
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 T sundried tomatoes, diced with oil drained
- 2 basil leaves
- Paprika and Season Salt to taste
- Peel the butternut squash and slice in half. Remove the seeds with a spoon. Slice both halves in half widthwise. Slice each section into thin slices, lengthwise.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, garlic and onion.
- Once onions are translucent, add the meat, salt, pepper and basil. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and marinara to the pan.
- To assemble the lasagna, place 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce on the bottom of a 9”x13” baking pan.
- Layer with slices of butternut squash so they overlap slightly. Add a layer of meat and sauce to cover the squash.
- Repeat step 7 until there is no more squash or sauce left, about 3 layers. Season with Paprika and Season Salt, to taste.
- Bake in the oven 60 minutes uncovered at 375°F.
- Remove from the oven, slice into 6 pieces and serve immediately.
Seriously delicious, but if you want a little more healthy fats and flavor, serve with sliced avocado and fresh basil leaves!
So what are you waiting for? Run to the store, grab the wholesome ingredients, and get to cooking up this delicious, hearty Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna today! You may even have some leftover for the work week! (no promises though!!)
Happy cooking and have a wonderful week ahead!