When you think Brussels Sprouts, you may not think "oh yum, I love Brussels Sprouts!" But what if they were smashed, covered in cheese, and seasoned to perfection? Now we're talking! You have to try this delicious and nutritious recipe for the best Smashed Brussels Sprouts that make the perfect side dish for any special gathering or simple weeknight dinner! Even if you aren't a big Brussels Sprouts fan, I am sure you will love this recipe!
This week's Recipe Feature: The Best Smashed Brussels Sprouts
I made these Smashed Brussels Sprouts for Christmas Eve dinner with my family and everyone loved them! I was shocked, since Brussels Sprouts are typically an acquired taste and my family does not tend to like "healthy food" ... but everyone raved about this side dish (and i didn't tell them that it was a gluten free recipe)! The best part is that this recipe is very simple and makes for a great side dish no matter the occasion - so you can make these Smashed Brussels all year long!
How to make the best smashed Brussels sprouts:
Ingredients: Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (I used 1 tbsp. minced garlic and it worked perfectly)
- 1/4 c sundried tomatoes (optional, but highly recommend)
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme or chili flakes (depending on your taste)
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley (or Chili flakes) for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan with olive oil spray.
- Clean and blanch the Brussels Sprouts - Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add sprouts and cook until bright green and tender (about 10 minutes). Drain sprouts and run under cold water for at least 2 minutes (or set in an ice bath to cool, then drain).
- On the large baking sheet, toss blanched Brussels Sprouts (and sundried tomatoes, if using) with olive oil and seasonings. Using the end of a small drinking glass or Mason Jar, press down on the Brussels (gently) to smash them into a flat patty. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese evenly on top.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes (or until the bottoms of the Brussels are crispy and the cheese is melted and golden). Watch carefully towards the end so they do not burn!
- Garnish with parsley or chili flakes and serve warm.
Now doesn't that look delicious!? But shhhh... don't tell anyone that it's pretty healthy! And this Smashed Brussels Sprouts recipe is very versatile, so you can really use any herbs and spices that you like and any mix of cheese (or leave out the cheese and use Nutritional Yeast for a vegan option!
Now get to cooking and serve up this tasty side dish that the whole family will love!