Happy Sunday! And yes, this Sunday is a very happy one since I am still visiting my family in Massachusetts and soaking up every last bit of vacation! The funny thing is that even though I am on vacation and relaxing, I still have a very busy schedule filled with morning workouts, lunch and dinner dates with friends, and spending quality time with my family. Take yesterday, for example - My parents and I made a last-minute decision to go out on the boat for a few hours (before going to the annual Portuguese Feast and then visiting with family friends) and I had less than 10 minutes to pack a lunch... thankfully I had my go-to quick lunch essentials in their kitchen and I made some delicious Turkey Wraps and packed some raw veggies and guacamole to create a quick, well-balanced meal in minutes.
This week's Meal Made in Minutes: Turkey Wraps
*Note: this particular lunch was not taken on the boat, but it was made at my parent's house the last time I was home and it depicts the perfect turkey wrap ensemble (for your viewing pleasure).
- 4-6 slices No Salt-Added (NSA) all-natural / organic Turkey Breast (3-4 oz)
- 1 small cucumber (washed, peeled, and sliced)
- 1 single-serve Guacamole packet
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- Lay out the turkey slices and spread about 1 tbsp of the guacamole on top.
- Peel the skin and slice the cucumber lengthwise into 4-6 slices (about 1/4th-in thick). Leave the rest of the cucumber half intact (or slice into thicker pieces) and put in a separate plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap.
- Wrap each turkey, guacamole, and cucumber combination up in plastic wrap (like a roll) and place them all in larger plastic bag for easy transportation.
- Place the tomatoes in a separate plastic bag.
- Save the rest of the guacamole for dipping. Either cover the container with aluminum foil or put the remaining guacamole in a small Tupperware container for easy transportation.
- Place all items in a small cooler with a couple ice packs and you are all set! (I also packed a couple waters and homemade trail mix of raw nuts and seeds as a snack for later!)
*Note, you can mix and match any items in this meal to meet your preferences - swap the turkey breast for sliced chicken breast (all-natural / organic) or Tempeh / firm tofu (for a vegan / vegetarian option), swap the cucumber for raw zucchini slices or sliced bell pepper, and swap the tomatoes for baby carrots. You can also wrap your turkey wraps in large Bibb lettuce leaves / kale leaves (for a gluten-free, low carbohydrate option) or wrap them in small whole-grain tortillas (for an extra dose of complex carbohydrates and longer-lasting energy). You can also mix the guacamole with some plain Greek yogurt to add more protein and creaminess to your meal (see picture below).
(Same meal, different ingredients: baby carrots and plain Greek yogurt)
And there you have it - a quick and delicious meal with lean protein, healthy fats, and colorful vegetables to fuel you for the day ahead! The best part is that you can make this meal in minutes and take it on the road with you wherever your plans may take you :-)