First Meal Makeover of 2016 and it is a winner, winner, (BBQ) chicken dinner! Here is my modified recipe for an all-time favorite meal made healthier!
This week's Meal Makeover: BBQ Chicken and Sweet Potato Noodles
Who doesn't love a good BBQ Chicken dinner? I know I sure do, but most recipes for BBQ chicken are high in fat and sodium and are often paired with other high-fat, high-calorie foods (think Cole Slaw, baked beans, biscuits, and mac & cheese). Not this BBQ Chicken meal! I found the easiest recipe for a healthy crockpot BBQ chicken (that practically cooks itself) and I paired it with sweet potato noodles for a savory and sweet balanced meal.
I was lucky enough to receive a stand-up Vegetable Spiralizer and the Inspiralized cookbook this Christmas during our family Yankee Swap and I put it to great use making my first ever batch of SWEET POTATO NOODLES! I was so impressed with how well the spiralizer worked and how amazing the sweet potato noodles came out! If you don't have a spiralizer yet, I highly recommend you get a good quality stand-up spiralizer (like the one I have from Brieftons)!
Ok, enough about the amazing spiralizer!... Here is the super easy recipe!
- 2 lbs chicken breast (uncooked, cleaned and all fat removed)
- 1 - 1.5 cups Walden Farms BBQ Sauce
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Olive Oil Spray
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Clean and trim chicken breast. Place chicken in the bottom of a crockpot and pour BBQ sauce over the chicken. Stir the chicken breast around to ensure they are covered by the sauce. Set crock pot on high for 2-3 hours (or low for 6-8 hours). (I recommend using a crockpot liner for easier clean up).
- While chicken is cooking, clean sweet potatoes and slice off the ends to create a flat surface at both ends. Spiralize both sweet potatoes and place in an air tight container and store in the refrigerator until the chicken is done. (You may want to cut the noodles with kitchen scissors in smaller sections if they are too long).
- Once the chicken is done, turn off the crock pot and shred the chicken breasts using two forks. Place the chicken back in the crock pot to stay warm and soak up more of the BBQ sauce.
- Spray a large sauce pan with Olive Oil spray and cook the sweet potato noodles on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Keep a cover over the sweet potatoes and stir occasionally as they cook. The noodles should be soft and tender when done. You can season the noodles with cinnamon if you'd like.
- Once the noodles are done, place a batch of noodles on a serving plate and top with the shredded BBQ chicken and extra BBQ sauce. Serve with a side salad or steamed green beans for a complete and colorful meal that the whole family will love!
That's it, my friends! Now go and enjoy this healthy comfort meal with your family and spread the good news to your friends about how easy and tasty this meal makeover is!
Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you and would appreciate your feedback on my recipe!