Looking for a last-minute, healthy appetizer for your 4th of July Party!? Make this super easy, delicious, and berry healthy Red, White, and Blue Berry & Brie Flag Appetizer that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser! The best part is you will be happy knowing that you are serving your loved ones nutritious whole foods! Now that's something to celebrate!
This week's Recipe Feature: Red, White, and Blue Berry & Brie Flag Appetizer
Now I know the 4th of July is a reason to celebrate, but most Holiday appetizers and meals are heavy on the calories and low on the nutrients... but not this one! The festive appetizer is full of nutrients (thanks to the antioxidants in the berries and protein and calcium in the Brie) and so fun to make!
Ingredients: (12 servings)
- 10-12 wooden skewers
- 1 package fresh blueberries
- 1 package fresh strawberries
- 1 package Brie Cheese
- Large serving platter (ideally 9x13)
- Wash the blueberries and strawberries ahead of time and store in the fridge (let them dry completely).
- Cut the block of Brie into even squares (no bigger than 1-in squares).
- Take 5-6 wooden skewers and "skewer" 10 blueberries on each skewer so that the blueberries line up evenly at the end of each skewer (to make the blue square part of the flag). Be sure to leave about a 1/2 inch of the skewer visible for easy gripping.
- On those same 5-6 skewers, assemble the rest of the flag by alternating the strawberries with the cubes of Brie until you reach the end of the skewer (still leaving about a 1/2 inch of the skewer for easy gripping).
- With the remaining 5-6 skewers, assemble the strawberries and cubes of Brie in an alternating pattern (starting with a strawberry) and be sure to match up the pattern of the strawberries and Brie cubes from the other 6 skewers. Continuing the alternating pattern until you reach the end of the skewer (still leaving about a 1/2 inch of the skewer for easy gripping).
- Line up the 12 skewers on the serving dish to complete the American Flag... and ENJOY!
You may find that you will have to make more than one appetizer once your loved ones get their hands on these skewers! If you haven't eaten all the leftover fruit and cheese already, then you'll have enough ingredients to make another batch or two and keep the good food & good times rolling this 4th of July!
Happy 4th and have a wonderful (and SAFE) long weekend!!