Looking for a Traditional Italian Dish that is full of flavor, yet lacking unnecessary calories and fat and can be made and on the table in under 10 minutes? Then look no further than this week's Meal Made in Minutes that also doubles as a Meal Makeover with a few minor tweaks to boost the nutrient factor while reducing the calories and fat found in most traditional Italian dishes. Trust me, you won't regret the makeover!
This week's Meal Made in Minutes: Lightened-up Italian Chicken & Mozzarella Dish
Not only is this dish easy to prepare, but it is very versatile and can be placed over whole wheat pasta or Zoodles (for a savory Italian Pasta dinner, as pictured above) or paired with baked whole grain bread or tortilla (for a crowd-pleasing appetizer, as pictured below)!
Ingredients: Makes 2 servings
- 5oz canned Organic Chicken Breast (white meat only, drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 3/4 c. no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4oz fresh sliced Mozzarella cheese (all natural, organic if possible)
- Italian Seasoning (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 large raw zucchinis (spiralized into Zoodles)
- 2 oz whole wheat spaghetti or penne pasta (cooked per directions on box)
- Shaved parmesan cheese (optional topping)
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Red Chili Flakes (to taste)
- Open canned chicken and drain. Rinse under cold water and place the chicken in a medium sized pot. Add tomato sauce and set to medium temp.
- Stir well and add in chopped up baby spinach (stems removed). Cook until the spinach welts and all ingredients are heated through (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add in seasonings of choice.
- Divide the chicken and spinach "sauce" into two servings and place over the Zoodles or cooked wheat pasta. Top each dish with 2oz fresh sliced Mozzarella cheese and let the cheese melt before devouring! Add optional Red Chili flakes and fresh Basil leaves, if desired.
- OR place the chicken and spinach "sauce" into a serving dish, top with sliced Mozzarella cheese, and serve with baked whole grain bread or tortilla and tomatoes as an appetizer!
Now, doesn't that look delicious! And so easy to whip up for dinner this week or as an appetizer for your next gathering. Either way, you cannot go wrong with this Meal Made in Minutes and you will not be disappointed with the Meal Makeover subsitutions!
So go ahead, get creative with this Lightened-up Italian-inspired dish and share your own meal makeover meal with me!
Happy cooking and have a wonderful week ahead!!