Looking for a savory dinner that's actually healthy and delicious? Then look no further than this meal makeover of a classic Ukrainian dish! With a little tweaking of ingredients, these Zucchini Pancakes with Creamy Dill Sauce will knock your socks off with their crispy and creamy texture and please even the pickiest of taste buds when paired with sautéed shrimp and a tomato-cucumber salad (and a nice glass of wine). Don't believe me? Give it a try and see for yourself!
This week's Meal Makeover: Zucchini Pancakes with Creamy Dill Sauce
Now, I can't take credit for this amazing meal... but I can attest to how delicious this meal (made by my sweet neighbor, Margie) was and I can definitely share how she gave this recipe (by Chef Bonnie Morales, owner of Kachka in Portland. Oregon) a healthy twist! What I cannot do, however, is thank Margie enough for entertaining my need to makeover recipes into healthier versions and for making this delicious dinner for us a couple weeks ago!
Ingredients: serves 4
- 1 c Kefir (plain flavor), divided into two 1/2 cup portions
- 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp. Dill, chopped
- 1 1/2 scallions plus 2 tbsp. thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tsp lemon juice, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 small zucchini, coarsely grated or spiralized into thin "zoodles"
- 1/2 cup Farmer's cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 c Gluten Free all-purpose flour (King Arthur's brand)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for frying
1. Make sauce: In a medium bowl, stir 1/2 cup kefir, Greek yogurt, 3 tablespoons dill, 2 tablespoons scallions and 1 teaspoon lemon juice until combined. Season with salt and set aside.
2. Make salad: In another medium bowl, toss together tomatoes, cucumbers, remaining scallions and remaining dill. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Make batter: In a large bowl, fold together zucchini, cheese, egg and GF flour. Whisk in 1/2 cup remaining Kefir. Season with salt.
4. Pour enough oil into a large nonstick pan to cover base with ¼ inch oil. Set pan over medium heat and, once oil is hot, drop a small bit of batter into pan. If it sizzles gently on contact, start frying. Pour ¼ cup batter into pan and gently flatten it, making one pancake. Repeat until pan is full but not overcrowded. Shallow-fry pancakes until golden, about 4 minutes. Flip and fry until golden on reverse side, about 3 minutes more. Transfer cooked pancakes to a paper-towel-lined platter. Repeat with additional oil and remaining batter. Season pancakes with salt.
5. Dress salad with 2 tablespoons oil and remaining lemon juice. Serve pancakes with sauce drizzled on top and salad alongside.
** Serve with 3oz sautéed shrimp (seasoned with Old Bay and lemon juice) for a perfectly balanced meal with lean protein, clean carbohydrates, and healthy fats!!
Just look at those plump shrimp!! Perfect addition to this already amazing made-over meal. My mouth is watering all over again just looking at these pictures! Looks like I will have to join you and make this meal (again) ASAP!!
So what are you waiting for? Make this tasty meal tonight for a lovely family dinner or as part of your Sunday Meal Prep for the week!
Happy cooking and have a wonderful week ahead!