There's nothing like your Momma's Chicken Enchiladas... and nothing quite as high-calorie and high in fat! Craving this savory dish, but don't want the unnecessary calories or saturated fat? Check out my Meal Makeover Recipe for Healthy Chicken Enchiladas! Trust me, you won't miss the excess cheese or the guilt that may come after eating the old-school version of this family favorite dish!
This week's Meal Makeover: Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 2 cup Chunky Salsa (Pace, Mild - approximately 32 tbsp)
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce (La Victoria Gluten Free, Traditional Mild)
- 12-16 Soft Corn Tortilla (Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas, Extra Thin)
- 1 Zucchini / Squash / Bell Pepper / or other favorite veggie, sliced / diced / chopped
- 3-10oz cans Natural Chicken Breast, white meat only (Or 3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded)
- 4-8oz Shredded Fat Free or 2% Mexican / Taco Cheese (optional)
- Boil / bake chicken breasts and shred (if using whole chicken breasts).
- Preheat oven to 325F and spray large baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Slice corn tortillas into 3rds length-wise (about 2 inch strips).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix chicken, salsa, veggies, and 3-7oz shredded cheese (if using cheese). Mix ingredients well to thoroughly combine.
- Layer a thin coat of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, place a layer of corn tortillas on top of sauce, then a layer of the chicken and salsa mix, then another layer of tortillas.
- Repeat layering in this order (chicken mix, tortillas, chicken mix, tortillas) until all ingredients are used up (be sure to end with tortilla layer.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the whole dish and top with remaining 1oz cheese (if using).
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and then divide into 6 even squares to serve.
** Serves 6 people and approximately 300 calories, 30g protein, 36g carbs, and 6g fat per serving (with only 1 oz of Fat-free Shredded Cheese).
That's all there is to it, my friends! So, what are you waiting for!? Head to your local grocery store, grab these simple wholesome ingredients, and get to making this simple and delicious makeover recipe the whole family will love! You may even have leftovers.... if you are lucky!!
Happy Sunday! And have a great week ahead!!