Craving PIZZA, but don't want the high-calorie, high-saturated fat, and belly bloat that usually comes with typical restaurant-style or frozen pizza? Well have no fear! I am hear to tell you that homemade pizza with fresh, wholesome ingredients can fit into ANY balanced diet! Let me introduce you to this week's Meal Makeover recipe - Fresh Caprese Pizza with Smoked Salmon!
This week's Meal Makeover: Fresh Caprese Pizza with Smoked Salmon
Confession - I have been craving all things Italian since our trip to Italy in the end of May and I cannot get enough of fresh Mozzarella cheese, juicy tomatoes, fresh Basil, and Balsamic Vinegar! So there wasn't a doubt in my mind what ingredients I would use for Monday night Pizza Night for my husband and me. This recipe was SO easy to make for my Whole Wheat - loving hubby and Gluten-Free for me. I did not have much time to make dinner so I just used pre-made pizza crusts for each of our personal pizzas (yes, my husband ate his entire "personal" Boboli pizza... he is training for an Ironman after all)!
Ingredients: 1 serving each
- 1 Gluten Free Flatoutbread wrap and 1 Boboli Whole Wheat Pizza crust (or your own homemade recipe / favorite pizza crust)
- 1/4 - 1/2 no-salt added tomato sauce
- 5 - 10 cherry / grape tomatoes (sliced thin into thirds)
- 1 - 2in slice of part-skim Mozzarella Cheese (cut into 1/8th slices, lengthwise)
- 1 - 2 leaves of fresh Basil
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Wild Caught Smoked Salmon
- Pre-heat oven to 400F and spray two baking sheets with olive-oil spray (non-stick)
- Place the Gluten Free Flatoutbread wrap on one baking sheet and the Boboli Whole Wheat crust on the other baking sheet.
- Spread out 1/4 cup tomato sauce on the Gluten Free wrap and 1/2 cup sauce on the Boboli crust. Then top the GF wrap with a few slices of Mozzarella Cheese and slices of tomato. Do the same for the Boboli Crust (using more of the ingredients on the bigger Boboli pizza crust).
- Place the Boboli Pizza in the oven for 8 minutes, then place the GF wrap crust into the oven for the remaining 2 minutes (or until both crusts slightly brown and the cheese melts).
- Remove the crusts from the oven and place 1/4 cup of the Smoked Salmon on the GF wrap, then add some fresh Basil leaves. Place 1/2 cup of the Smoked Salmon on the Boboli crust, then add some fresh Basil leaves.
- Serve both pizzas as they are whole, or cut into slices. ENJOY!!
** I topped my GF pizza with a sprinkle of chili flakes and nutritional yeast, then added a drizzle of Balsamic and it was an amazing combination of Italian flavors!
That's all there is to it! Simple, quick, healthy and delicious homemade pizza made for two in under 20 minutes from start to finish! These Italian-inspired pizzas filled our house with an amazing aroma (and our belly's with wholesome, nutritious ingredients)!
So go ahead, make yourself this Fresh Caprese Pizzas and leave the guilt behind!
Happy baking, my friends! And have a wonderful week ahead!